Date: Thursday 30th March 2017 10.30am – 3.30pm
and Saturday 1st April 10.30am – 3.30pm
Text and Textile: An exploration of memory and narrative
Tutor: Elena Thomas
Elena’s work uses garments, textiles and occasionally other domestic items to prompt a feeling of familiarity in the viewer. Stories are nudged into existence. Text added, or stitches, enhance that narrative which may reinforce those feelings, or turn the stories upside down, or provoke a feeling of unease.
This one-day artists’ workshop seeks to explore your stories. It will include a talk about Elena’s own work, and a chance to see the Nine Women exhibition through the artist’s experience.
The practical session will require participants to bring the following ESSENTIAL ITEMS:
- a textile item that holds significance, a story perhaps. It can be something precious, or something bought for the purposes of the workshop.
- a piece of text – this can be a few words, phrases, names, poetry, song lyrics, shopping list, letter, postcard, a piece of prose written by yourself or someone else… any words that come to mind… if the textile item inspires the words, or the other way round, all the better.
It might also be useful to bring:
- basic sewing kit
- basic drawing kit or sketchbook
- additional textiles to cut/patch
- photos to prompt ideas
Elena will bring an assortment of materials which participants can use freely, and equipment that can be borrowed for the duration of the workshop.
£45 per person
- Workshops run 10.30am-3.30pm with a break for lunch. Teas, coffees etc are available throughout the day.
- Workshops are bookable in advance on a first come first served basis and payable upon booking a place. (places are limited)
- In the unlikely event that we would have to cancel the workshop, a full refund will be provided promptly.
- If you unfortunately need to cancel, a full refund will be given up until 2 weeks prior to the workshop date.
- Workshops are held at ArtistsWorkhouse, The Royal Victoria Works, off Redditch Road, Studley, Warks, B80 7AS
- For further details or to book a place, please contact Dawn Harris on 07889718242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.